Deadline for Application Packets Extended!
Due to major disruptions and power outages, cSw will accept complete Application Packages up to Midnight, Sunday, March 25.
curiousSCIENCEwriters (cSw) is an innovative, extracurricular program that trains and mentors teens in writing, editing, graphic design and social media to bring complex science to the general public through the power of story.
[box type=”bio”]Our Process:
Each year, cSw selects high school students to work with professional communicators, who mentor them in the development and publication of engaging bioscience stories disseminated via traditional and social media.
In 2018, cSw is recruiting students entering Grades 10, 11 or 12 as of September. With the guidance of mentors:
- Writers research pre-approved topics, interview content experts (leading-edge scientists/researchers) and write, revise and finish original stories
- Editors review, proof, fact-check, and polish stories for publication
- Graphic designers work as a team to find or create effective visuals for stories
- Social media coordinators promote published stories as well as the program itself
[box type=”bio”]Participants must commit in writing to:
- Attend all-day Communications Forum on Saturday, May 19, 2018 at Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ
- Attend Residential Summer Bootcamp from Saturday, June 23 – Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at Kean University, Union, NJ
- Fulfill all responsibilities associated with specific role: writer; editor; graphic designer; social media coordinator
- Collaborate with mentor and cSw team to develop each story
- Maintain constant electronic communication throughout entire process
[box type=”bio”]Cost and Application Timing:
- Registration for 2018/19 Program: $550 (full and partial scholarships may be available)
- Application period opens on January 15, 2018 and ends March 25, 2018
Must be submitted by 11:59PM, March 25, 2018
Student Application Form – US
Student Application Form – CANADA
Faculty Recommendation Form – US
Faculty Recommendation Form – CANADA
Parent/Guardian Consent Form – US
Parent/Guardian Consent Form – CANADA
2018 Scholarship Request Form – US
2018 Scholarship Request Form – CANADA
cSw is hosted by States United for Biomedical Research (SUBR), endorsed by The Biology Teachers Association of New Jersey (BTANJ), guided by a Faculty Advisory Board and coordinated by a team of communications specialists.