2017 Application Forms
Application Period: January 15 – March 21, 2017
curiousSCIENCEwriters (cSw) is an innovative, extracurricular program that trains and mentors teens in writing, editing, graphic design and social media to bring complex science to the general public through the power of story.
In 2017, cSw is recruiting students entering Grades 10, 11 or 12 as of September:
- Writers will research pre-approved bioscience topics and interview leading-edge researchers
- Editors will review, fact check, and polish several stories for publication
- Graphic designers will work as a team to find or create effective visuals
- Social media coordinators will help promote published stories as well as the program itself
- Attend all-day annual Communications Forum on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ
- Attend 3-day residential summer workshop from July 16-19, 2017 at College of St. Elizabeth, Convent Station, NJ
- Fulfill all responsibilities associated with specific role: writer; editor; graphic designer; social media coordinator
- Work closely with a Communications Mentor and cSw team to develop each story
- Maintain consistent electronic communication throughout the entire process
cSw is hosted by States United for Biomedical Research (SUBR), endorsed by The Biology Teachers Association of New Jersey (BTANJ), guided by a Faculty Advisory Board and coordinated by a team of communications specialists.